Bariatric revision is a surgical intervention designed to correct or modify a prior bariatric surgery. There are several reasons why patients who have previously undergone bariatric surgery may consider a revision:
- Complications from Initial Surgery: Occasionally, complications arise from the initial surgery, such as gastric bands shifting, slipping out of position, or eroding into the stomach. In such cases, a second operation may be necessary to reposition, replace, or remove the gastric band.
- Intolerance to the Original Procedure: The success of bariatric surgery can vary from person to person. In rare instances, some patients may find living with a particular bariatric procedure, such as a gastric band, too challenging, or they may experience inadequate weight loss. In such cases, they may opt to convert to an alternative procedure like gastric bypass for improved results.
- Weight Regain or Plateau: After any bariatric surgery, if a patient overeats or stretches the remnant/upper part of the stomach, weight loss may stall or be regained due to reduced restriction on food intake. To enhance weight loss outcomes, a revision or a change to a different surgical approach may be considered.
At Dr. Green’s practice in Tijuana, Mexico, we offer comprehensive bariatric revision solutions to help you achieve your weight loss and health goals.
The Top Reasons for Revisions:
- Adverse Events from Initial Surgery: Adverse events or complications arising from the original procedure may necessitate a revision.
- Inadequate Weight Loss: When weight loss results fall short of expectations, a revision may be considered to achieve desired outcomes.
- Weight Regain: In cases of weight regain following bariatric surgery, revisional procedures can help address this concern.
- Unresolved Co-Morbidities: Certain health issues related to obesity may remain unresolved after the initial surgery, prompting the need for revision.
- Nutritional Complications: Nutritional complications or deficiencies may arise, requiring a revisional operation to address these concerns.
The choice of revisional procedure will be tailored to the specific prior surgical intervention and the underlying issue being addressed. Trust Dr. Green in Tijuana, Mexico, for expert guidance and effective solutions for your revisional needs.
Bariatric Surgery Revisions
Bariatric revision operations are more complex and involve more risk than the initial surgery. Surgeon skill and experience is one of the most important factors in patient outcomes and not every surgeon is qualified to perform these type of surgeries. For the best results, select a bariatric surgeon who has expertise in performing bariatric revision surgery.